Saturday, March 5, 2011

Darth Vada

I have an unusual bedtime. My circadian cycle is pretty off in accordance to nature.  I'd love to be an early riser who wakes up in time to conjure up a cup of herbal tea and watch the sun rise each morning.  Although I do have the option of staying up until the sun rises, for instance, times when I come home at 5 am, I know it wouldn't be as fulfilling. I live in an apartment complex where any type of view is pretty much nonexistent. 

As I was laying in bed last night, I was recalling the last blog I wrote about possibly changing my name, thinking that I'd somehow gain and lose different parts of my personality I was unhappy with. Then I thought, "what the fuck, I just made myself sound like I have some borderline personality issue. I better delete some parts of that post." I made a rule for myself though- once published, you cannot delete. I have the tendency of making assumptions about myself based on an online self diagnosis. This is something one should NEVER do.  However, I do find it ironic that when in the club, men sometimes crack jokes when I shout my name over the loud speakers. "Hi I'm Vada." "Oh, as in Darth Vada?" This is what irks me:

In 2007, a group of French psychiatrists and psychologists "diagnosed" the Star Wars character, Darth Vader, as having six out of the nine symptoms of borderline personality disorder. Now I have not seen any of the Star Wars films, ( I know), so I don't know what to think of this observation. I do find it pretty fucking pathetic that these French doctors are diagnosing a fictitious character.  It got irritating after about the fifth or sixth time hearing it in the club. Even my manager jumped the wagon.  I'll admit though, it makes a pretty damn good user name : ) So that's the story behind that. 

Btw, I chose "Vada" after Anna Chlumsky's character in the movie "My Girl." 

No comments:

Post a Comment